Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Man Flu Toddy.

My poor Ed has a stinking cold today so when I got in I decided to make him a 'bed time get better drink'. I know that you usually make a toddy with whiskey but we only had spiced rum in the house so I just used that. 

So all you need to make the man flu toddy is:
  • A shot (or two) or rum or whiskey.
  • 1tsp of honey (or agave nectar if you are vegan).
  • Juice of half a lime and half a lemon (or you could just the juice of one lemon).
  • 3 Cloves
  • Half a cinnamon stick


It is a really simple recipe, add the rum and honey into a cup and cover with just boiled water. Next add the lemon juice, the cinnamon and cloves, then give it a good stir. This has all the useful ingredients that is needed to help fight man flu, the alcohol gives a nice numb, the citrus juice has plenty of vitamin C, the honey soothes and the spice gives a lovely round warmth. Just like a cuddle in a mug.


I leave the spice in to float around and add a bit of interest for the poorly Ed (he is very easily amused when he is ill). But you can take it out if you want to after a few minutes of infusing. And that is all there is to it, obviously don't give this to your man or administer it to yourself if you have to go to work or are driving etc. because of the alcohol. 

I also learnt that the wax on lemons isn't vegan friendly! I usually buy unwaxed but my local supermarket doesn't have such luxuries at 10pm. Ed said the wax is made from bug goo or something... EEeeeww. 

Enjoy hope this helps with the Autumn/ Winter snuffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment