Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Dipping my toe into the Waters of Embroidery.

A few weeks ago I mentioned that I had bought Embroidered Effects by Jenny Hart after seeing her on a Threadbanger video. I have never tried embroidery in my life and I was a little bit scared of it, but this book makes it so straightforward. The only thing I had to remember was to hold a mirror up to the diagrams because I am left handed.  


This has become one of my favourite crafts at the moment.


I didn't plan this design out, I was originally just going to do rows of stitches but then a row went a bit wonky and looked a bit too much like a toadstool stem for me to resist. Then I just worked around that trying out different stitches along the way.


I love the fern stitch, it is probably my favourite stitch because it just looks so cute! I have to admit I did have to look up how to do a french knot on youtube because my lefty brain was struggling with the diagram even with a mirror.


I tried three different versions of the satin stitch here, I liked the first one better, I think that one was the 'padded version', It just seemed to work out the smoothest.


I need way more practise with the stem stitch, as you can see on the left hand of this toadstool, it is all a little bit wonky. The frill just under the lid was added later when I realised the stem and lid would never be connected otherwise. But that is one of the things that is so great about embroidery, it is so versatile and you can turn your mistakes into features.


Twinkle stitches are also one of my favourites! They are so fun and quick to do, I would love to add some sequins or crystals to this kind of stitch. The back stitch, whilst maybe a little boring, can create some lovely shapes as well.

I love, love, love embroidery! I have started another piece on paper this time for a little present for Ed, it is nearly finished so I will be posting that up when it is. I would really recommend the book, Embroidery Effects it breaks all the stitches into simple steps and I have found it really inspiring.  

No comments:

Post a Comment